The Legislative Committee was formed in 2012 in response to NOVA’s increased need for a continued strong voice in the nation’s legislative arena. The Legislative Committee is responsible for:
- Developing NOVA’s Annual Legislative Agenda.
- Assisting with and attending NOVA’s Annual Legislative Roundtable in Washington, DC.
- Monitoring and responding to legislation which can potentially affect veterans and the nurses employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Participating in “Hill Visits” with Congressional members and their staffs.
- Collaborating with other nursing and veterans groups and organizations with common interests and goals.
- Developing and submitting the Nursing Section of the Independent Budget.
- Educating NOVA members on the legislative process.
The Legislative Committee consists of members of the NOVA Board of Directors and qualified volunteers selected from among the NOVA members. The Committee meets via conference calls and face-to face meetings.
2018 Legislative Committee Chairs
Chair: Teresa Acosta, DNP, MSN, RNEl Paso VA Health Care System
Betty Ang, PhD, PMHNP, PMHCNS-BC, VA Portland Health Care System
Julie Azar, Charles George VA Medical Center
Sharlene Barrow, West Palm Beach VA Medical Center
Kerry Brown, VA Portland Health Care System
Tim Buchanan, St. Louis VA Medical Center
Jazmin Budd, Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center
Linda Casale, West Palm Beach VA Medical Center
Cheryl Clarke, Bruce B. Carter VA Medical Center
Stacey Collins, White River Junction VA Medical Center
Carmen Concepcion,VA San Diego Health Care System
Hester Gunadi, VA Long Beach Health Care System
Gwendolyn Holland, St. Louis VA Medical Center
Ruth Holmes, VA Central Office
Sharon A. Johnson, VA Maryland Health Care System
Geizel Leach, VA Maryland Health Care System
Larry Lemos, VA Long Beach Health Care System
Margaret Milner, Providence VA Medical Center
Valarie Moorer, MSN, FNP-C, Hampton VA Medical Center
Rosetta Moss, St. Louis VA Medical Center
Eva Parrish, RN, BC, Northampton VA Medical Center
Catherine Proebstle, Minneapolis VA Medical Center
Nancy Reagan, Edith Nourse Rogers VA Medical Center
Michelle Salazar, RN, Black Hills VA Health Care System
Yvette Twum-Danso, W.J. Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center
Bridgette Vest, Salem VA Medical Center
Lisa Wiederrich, VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System
Shari Wilson, VA Boston Health Care System
Please let us know if you’d like to serve on the Legislative Committee. You must be a NOVA member in good standing. Members must be able to commit a substantial amount of time to committee work throughout their appointment. Please click on the link below and complete the form to be considered for service on the NOVA Legislative Committee.